Community Investment Management (CIM) is looking for a Director to elevate our impact strategy, broaden our influence and refine the ways we measure and manage our impact both in the United States and emerging markets. CIM is a global institutional impact investment manager that provides strategic debt funding to scale and demonstrate responsible innovation in lending to underserved borrowers. Our work aims to advance financial inclusion by partnering with select tech-enabled lending partners, improve financial health and drive widespread adoption of such fintech innovation by the financial mainstream.
The Director will be based in CIM’s San Francisco headquarters. The scale and sophistication of the impact investing market has grown significantly over recent years and this role reflects that maturation. Since our founding, a significant part of CIM’s work has involved engaging the fintech industry to identify, exchange, and codify industry best practices, particularly around responsible and transparent digital financial services and tools for impact measurement and management within financial technology. This has resulted in developing resources that have become the reference points for the responsible fintech industry, such as the Small Business Borrowers’ Bill of Rights and the Guidelines for Responsible Investing in Digital Financial Services. CIM is looking for a Director to amplify our impact and spearhead our global thought leadership. A passion for widespread impact, strong organizational skills with acute attention to detail, and comfort with a high degree of autonomy in a collaborative organization are essential for success in this role.
Key responsibilities for this position currently are being handled by other leaders at the firm, and the successful Director will embrace the following responsibilities, allowing the rest of the team to deepen their own focus areas. As such, it will be important for the Director to quickly establish a rapport with the Managing Partner and other members of the team to be successful in their role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a champion within the firm to advance CIM’s impact mission in every aspect of our activities.
- Evolve and refine our impact management and measurement strategy to deepen our impact, thought leadership and reporting.
- Engage with impact investing initiatives such as the Operating Principles for Impact Management, The Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFDR), 2X Global, and the Responsible Business Lending Coalition.
- Proactively engage with our fintech lending partners to support them in the design, implementation, monitoring and analysis of their impact theses, advance existing impact themes, such as Gender Lens Investing, and construct new impact theses by analyzing and assessing new developments, trends, and opportunities that meet the needs of underserved borrowers.
- Conduct pioneering research on the role of credit and fintech in promoting financial inclusion and support the production of communications that resonate with industry stakeholders and broad public audiences.
- Conduct quantitative analysis on impact performance data and develop methodologies to refine our impact performance infrastructure.
- Represent CIM on industry groups, networks, and conference panels.
- Provide support to CIM’s investment, communications, and marketing teams.
The ideal candidate:
Successful candidates for this role should be experienced implementers of systems and processes to achieve a high level of excellence in impact execution at an asset management firm. The impact of this position is bigger than the sum of its particular responsibilities, and the ideal candidate will have more than just a list of skills that ‘check the box’. Intellectual curiosity is essential, and in filling this role we are more concerned with a candidate’s capabilities than any singular experience. CIM is looking for someone who possesses sufficient experience to initiate high-impact projects, someone with sufficient credibility to build trust with the team, third party partners and stakeholders, and someone with sufficient vision to lead the firm’s impact strategy.
The ideal Director has:
- Passion about impact management and measurement, financial inclusion, advocacy, and the ability of commercial impact investment at scale to address inequality.
- Expertise in impact management and measurement within the asset management industry, preferably within private markets and financial inclusion
- Excitement to work in a relatively small, fluid, ambitious, and highly collaborative global team with a high degree of autonomy, self-motivation, and discipline
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative mindset, self-starter, and an exceptional work ethic
- A deep established network within impact investing and research
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to deduce, synthesize and effectively communicate complex ideas
- Strong critical and creative thinking skills; a proactive approach to solving problems
- Intellectual drive, thinking about big issues, what makes and moves markets, what inspires people
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours at times of peak project flow
- Proficiency with statistical analysis tools such as STATA and SQL a strong plus
- Commitment to equity and justice. Successful candidates will be aware that race, income, age, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender and gender expression, and other identities can play, and have historically played, a role in equity disparities, including within organizations. Successful candidates will be committed to continuous learning about diversity, equity, and inclusion and how to manifest these principles in the workplace
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
For this position, we offer a competitive base salary in the range of $150,000 to $200,000 depending on qualifications and experience. In addition to the base salary employees are offered a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, and retirement plans and are eligible for discretionary performance-based bonuses.
If you are interested in learning more about the role or applying, please send your resume and an email cover letter to email@example.com.
At Community Investment Management, we are committed to maintaining an environment that fosters personal and collaborative working relationships. Our people:
- Appreciate every voice and cultivate constructive dissidence
We believe seeing things differently is a key strength
- Encourage each other to take chances
We believe that people produce their best ideas when they feel comfortable putting themselves out there
- Stay humble and intellectually curious
We believe that remembering that we all are deeply flawed enables a learning mindset which empowers us to discover new solutions and grow
- Seek alignment
We believe that we are best set up for success when we share the same goals with our partners
- Find a better way
We believe that we can figure out any problem with enough persistence and creativity
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core values. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, building the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive impact on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain people from a diverse candidate pool. We strongly encourage women, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. CIM is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and equal opportunity for all applicants, as well as employees. All applicants for positions at CIM will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with prior criminal records will be considered for employment consistent with federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
About Community Investment Management
Since 2014, Community Investment Management has played an integral role in the development of responsible and transparent innovation in digital finance. CIM seeks to deliver positive social impact by partnering with innovative credit providers aligned to their mission.
Through a comprehensive investment process developed from significant expertise in small business and consumer lending and structured finance, CIM identifies and invests in responsible financial solutions for inefficient market segments underserved by traditional lenders.
CIM’s strategy demonstrates and scales innovative financial products, bringing transparent, responsible solutions into the financial mainstream.
CIM focuses on partnerships with innovative credit providers that demonstrate a commitment to responsible, transparent, and customer-centric practices. CIM’s deep engagement model, impact orientation, and long-term investment focus makes them a preferred investment partner for innovative credit providers
Through their investments and industry leadership, CIM delivers impact on three levels and in line with select UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Enabling Environment: Shaping Policy & Lending Practices
CIM has established itself as a leading voice for responsible lending practices. Their advocacy work in the sector has centered on developing a set of responsible practices and codified behavior within FinTech lending, including co-founding the Small Business Borrowers’ Bill of Rights.
Market Building: Scaling Responsible Fintech Leaders
CIM provides strategic debt financing to scale and demonstrate responsible innovation in credit products and drive widespread adoption by the financial mainstream. CIM’s partnerships cultivate an ecosystem for responsible and transparent products that advance financial inclusion and improve financial health of communities.
Borrower Access: Reaching Underserved Communities
CIM believes that responsible financial inclusion for small businesses and individuals is critical to equitable economic growth, job creation, and the health and sustainability of local communities. CIM works closely with its partners to deliver responsible financing solutions for underserved communities, including small businesses, students, and low-income households. A majority of the businesses funded by CIM are owned by women, people of color, or military veterans.