Emerging Markets Investments
Community Investment Management (CIM) is looking for an investment officer to join our U.S. investment team. CIM is an institutional impact investment manager that provides strategic debt funding to scale and demonstrate responsible innovation in lending to underserved borrowers. Our work aims to advance financial inclusion by partnering with select tech-enabled lending partners, improve financial health and drive widespread adoption of such fintech innovation by the financial mainstream.
The investment officer will join our investment team and report to our Partner on CIM’s new emerging markets investment strategy. Pandemic-permitting, the position will involve occasional travel to target markets as well as to San Francisco, Berlin, and Singapore. Our target markets include India, Mexico, and other countries across Latin America and Southeast Asia. A passion for impact at scale, strong analytical skills, and comfort with a high degree of autonomy in a collaborative, global organization are essential for success in this role.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop a pipeline of investment opportunities, build a strong sourcing referral network and conduct thorough due diligence and financial analysis on prospective investees.
- Play a leading role in investment negotiations, documentation, and execution. Proactively explore and implement various structuring solutions that fit local market and product needs.
- Proactively construct new investment theses by analyzing and assessing new markets, fintech verticals, and monitoring the competitive and regulatory landscapes in target markets.
- Synthesize findings, develop perspective on companies in an analytical way with limited information, and create detailed investment memos and make recommendations.
- Work closely with the teams in Berlin and San Francisco on investor reporting, risk reporting and technology coordination.
- Lead the monitoring of existing investments with periodic analytical reviews.
- Amplify our brand, presence, and influence in target markets by deepening our networks and curating high impact events/workshops, etc.
The ideal candidate:
- Passionate about financial inclusion, relentlessly inquisitive about identifying emerging fintech trends, and constructively obsessed about assessing the best emerging teams and companies.
- 5-8 years of previous work experience, ideally with a background in fintech, debt financing and structuring. Domain knowledge in fintech verticals and business models preferred.
- Excellent financial modeling and structuring skills and experienced in negotiating. CFA a plus.
- Comfortable communicating clearly and effectively in team discussions and sharing own opinion.
- Excited to work in a small, fluid, ambitious, and highly collaborative global team with a high degree of autonomy, self-motivation, and discipline.
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative mindset, self-starter, and an exceptional work ethic.
- Experience working in emerging markets a plus, as is fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Bahasa.
If you are interested in learning more about the role or applying, please send your resume and an email cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply Today
At Community Investment Management, we are committed to maintaining an environment that fosters personal and collaborative working relationships. Our people:
- Appreciate every voice and cultivate constructive dissidence
We believe seeing things differently is a key strength
- Encourage each other to take chances
We believe that people produce their best ideas when they feel comfortable putting themselves out there
- Stay humble and intellectually curious
We believe that remembering that we all are deeply flawed enables a learning mindset which empowers us to discover new solutions and grow
- Seek alignment
We believe that we are best set up for success when we share the same goals with our partners
- Find a better way
We believe that we can figure out any problem with enough persistence and creativity
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with our core values. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, building the thought leadership needed to have outsized positive impact on the world. We actively recruit, develop, and retain people from a diverse candidate pool. We strongly encourage women, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. CIM is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and equal opportunity for all applicants, as well as employees. All applicants for positions at CIM will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with prior criminal records will be considered for employment consistent with federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.